Tuesday, May 26, 2015

AR-15 Ejector Removal Jig

If you need to remove the ejector from the bolt of your AR-15, like when you are checking head space, it helps to have a tool to compress the ejector spring.  You can get tools to do this that run in the $20 to $50 dollar range.  I made my own for about $10 with hardware from Lowes.




 I started with a 4 x 8" piece of 3/4" plywood and a 1.5 x 1.5 x 4" block of wood that was a scrap of 2x4 in a previous life.  I drilled a hole in the plywood 2" from the end and centered, and inserted a 5/16-18 x 3/8" T-nut and a 5/16-18 x 2" brass screw.  Then I drilled a hole in the block 3/8" from the bottom and centered.  I inserted another 5/16-18 x 3/8" T-nut and a 6" section of 5/16-18 threaded rod.  A bench vise was use to press in the T-nuts.  I added a 5/16-18 knob on one end, and a piece of 5.56 mm brass, with the tapered part cut off, to the other end.  The cartridge case fits a bit loosely, so I used some masking tape around the end of the threaded rod to make it snug.  I cut a a small recess in the plywood base with a Forstner bit (you could use Dremel or standard drill bit) to give the ejector pin room to come out.


Here is the underside. I nailed the block to the plywood with 1.5" 16 gauge finish nails. Alternatively, you could screw it in place.  Note the countersinking of the screw head.


Side view.

Jig in action.


The brass screw fits nicely in the hole for the cam pin and will not mar the bolt.  Keep in mind that the ejector pin is not perfectly vertical in this configuration, so you will have to hold your 1/16" roll pin punch at a slight angle when driving out the pin. When you release the pressure on the ejector, turn the handle slowly and hold your hand over the bolt. Otherwise, you ejector may shoot across the room.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there, Gregg from Ballistic Advantage. Nice DIY. Can I re-post and back link you?
    http://ballisticadvantage.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice build! We featured it in our Homemade Tools newsletter, fully credited to you and linked back of course: http://mailchi.mp/homemadetools/metric-vs-imperial-anvil-height-swash-plate-engine

    I hope we've been able to send you lost of visitors. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I copied it and built it out of 1/2" x 1/2' steel square stock. I spaced the horizontal screw a little higher to accomodate the .308 bolt too. awesome idea! Thx for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The brass bolts can be hard to locate but are readily available in most every hardware store plumbing dept. Johnny bolts aka toilet setting hardware are 5/16x2-1/4” long solid brass bolts.

    ReplyDelete