Friday, February 20, 2015

LTR Jr. - Liberty Training Rifle for Small People

Here is how I built a smaller version of a Ruger 10/22 based Liberty Training Rifle (LTR).  The LTR concept was born out of Project Appleseed.  The LTR is a rifle that has the same sights and sling as a service rifle, but shoots inexpensive .22 LR.  Typically these are shot at reduced size targets at 25 yards or meters.  They are typically used for Project Appleseed training, but this configuration is ideal for multiple purposes like marksmanship training, hunting, plinking.



I started with a basic Ruger 10/22.  You can get one at Walmart for about $200.  Then I bought the usual LTR goodies:

Must Haves:
TSR-100 Tech sights $59
Uncle Mike's QD studs and 1.25" sling swivels #13113, $9.99
GI sling (Midway or Tech Sights) $14

Nice to Have:
Bell & Carlson extended mag release, $5.99
Volquartsen target hammer and bolt release, $44.99

Then I bought a used walnut 10/22 stock on eBay for $40.  I wanted to keep the original stock for larger shooters to use or if I ever resell the rifle.  I shortened the the buttstock to give a 12.5" length of pull for smaller shooters.  I also removed the barrel band and part of the forend to free float the barrel and further reduce weight.

First,  wearing rubber gloves, I stripped the stock by spraying EasyOff oven cleaner all over it, then scrubbed it in the sink under running hot water with a 3M green pad.  I repeated as needed to remove the finish.  I let it dry overnight.

I placed the comb against the miter gauge of the table saw.  I had to use a block of wood as a spacer to make it work.


I removed just enough stock to get rid of the inletting for the factory buttplate.  See original stock on left and removed portion on right.


I bought Brownells universal buttplate (small), part# B331M for $14.95.



I centered the buttplate and marked the holes and drilled them with a 5/32" brad point bit.  I screwed it on and cut off the extra plastic with a Dremel cutoff wheel.  Then I shaped it with a Dremel sanding drum.  Then I sanded the butt / buttplate junction with 60 grit sandpaper for a seamless look.

Next I cut of the part of the forend that is stepped down for the barrel band.


I rounded off the cut edge with a Dremel sanding drum.  I then contoured it a bit with 60 grit sandpaper.  Next I marked the holes for the QD studs, 1.25" from each end and centered.  I drilled them with a 5/32" brad point bit.  Then I sanded the whole stock with 100, 150, 240 grit sandpaper, then 00 and 0000 steel wool.  Then I removed the buttplate and finished it with Birchwood Casey Tru Oil ($7).  Then I put the buttplate and QD studs on and put it back on the rifle and attached the sling.


No comments:

Post a Comment