Friday, February 20, 2015

LTR Sr. - Liberty Training Rifle for Aging Eyes

I built this rifle for me.  I'm a large man and my eyes are not what they used to be.  I wanted an extended length of pull and a scope.


I started with a Walmart Ruger 10/22 for about $200.  This rifle has many of the same upgrades as the LTR Jr. in my previous post.  The magazine release, target hammer, bolt release, QD studs, sling swivels, sling are all the same.  The finish and the free floated forend are the same.

I added a John Masen recoil pad from Midway for $14.99.  This extends length of pull to 14.5".

I used the factory included Weaver rail.  The scope rings are Weaver #48630, medium height 1" rings, $34.99 from Midway.



The scope is a Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x32 Adjustable Objective.  It runs $74.99 at Midway, but I've seen it as low as $54.99 on Amazon.  I chose this scope mainly because of the price point and the adjustable objective (AO).  AO is important if you are going to be shooting at things that are close, like the 25 yard targets at Appleseed.  It also works for indoor dry firing at reduced size targets.  You can find printable Appleseed targets online that are scaled down for indoor dry firing at 30 feet.  This scope comes with rings, but they are flimsy.



The cheek rest is kydex and was bought on eBay from dan5743 for $30.



I like the cheek rest, but I didn't care for the knobs that came with it.  I replaced them with knobs from Duckworks Boat Builders Supply,  IC-KN4C-F2-70 - 1/4-20 Fluted Knob, for $1.35 each.



No comments:

Post a Comment